Saturday, March 20, 2010

St. Patty's at the Hickson's...

Yup this was how we celebrated St. Patrick's Day this year! The kids start young in the Hickson household. I don't know what's crazier, the 2 yr old drinking Guinness or the big toe chaser she followed it with....?Meanwhile, as all the Courtney shenanigans were going on, Carter just sat at the other end of the table, looking sweet as can be...
Ok ok I should probably clarify - Courtney didn't REALLY drink any Guinness! Daddy had the bottle and she kept saying she wanted some, so after he had finished drinking it, he let her hold up the bottle. She may have gotten a drip. I expected her to make a completely revolted face and declare it to be the nastiest thing she had ever tried, but instead she squealed as sweet as can be "I wuv it!!". Yes, we are in trouble...

Our actual St. Patrick's Day "celebration" consisted of Carter deciding he needed to wear a green shirt - and then discovering in his drawer that he actually owns TWO green shirts - so he in fact wore TWO green shirts. We couldn't find a green shirt for Courtney, so instead she wore a My Little Pony shirt with a rainbow on it - the rainbow seemed sorta leprechauny. Or something. I decided we needed a green/Irish-inspired dinner, so I tried something crazy... I actually tried making homemade fish & chips. I bought fresh cod, made beer batter, heated a pot of oil and everything. The result - it wasn't that good and I found deep frying WAY too scary. So that's the first AND last time I'll make fried fish! I also heated some sweet potato fries for the chips (I figure there is orange in the Irish flag, yes?) and then made some green sides - peas, salad with green onions, cucumbers & avocado, and some avocado slices on the kids' plates. But of course their favorite part of dinner - the green frosted cupcakes!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: