Tuesday, May 12, 2009

San Diego Vacation, Day 6 - Harbor Tour and another beach!

On San Diego Day 6 we decided to spend our morning on a one hour tour of the bay. But before I get to that, here's the view of the bay from our hotel balcony - not too shabby, aye? :-)From our hotel, we walked a few blocks down to the San Diego Harbor Excursion dock. Along the way we passed by the Star of India, a beautiful old ship with huge, white sails. She was built in 1863 and is the oldest active ship in the world - they sail her at least once a year to keep that status, but most of the time she's docked in the harbor as a museum. If you're at all curious you can read about her history here. I also loved that swordfish statue in front of her!As I was taking photos of the statues along the pier I noticed something out of the corner of my eye - there were two dolphins out in the bay!! Carter and I saw them (and another couple on the pier complimented me on my good eye as they enjoyed them too!) - I attempted to snap a few photos but of course they were hard to capture - and then Carter ran over to Daddy to tell him what he had missed!Aboard the tour boat, Carter loved looking at the water.We saw some sea lions sunning themselves on a dock!We passed the Naval Submarine Base and the North Island Naval Air Station. We got to see two huge active carriers docked in the bay - the USS Nimitz (CVN 68, in the foreground) and the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76)! It was interesting to learn about the Nimitz - there is an Admiral Nimitz Museum out in Fredricksburg (actually, it's now called The National Museum of the Pacific War!!), which is just west of Austin. I've never been, but I've heard it's a nice museum. I didn't realize that not only is there a USS Nimitz, but the entire class of carriers that the USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan belong to is called the Nimitz Class! You learn something new everyday...! (and now I want to go to that museum!!) :-)The skyline of San Diego, as seen from our tour boat.Notice the huge Bay Bridge to the right of the city in the photo above, in the afternoon we crossed that to get to Coronado Island, where we enjoyed more time at the beach. Courtney had fun in the sand...Carter and Daddy splashed in the big waves...And we admired an amazing sand castle built by someone before we got there...There will just be one more post, our vacation is nearly over...

No comments: